Friday, May 27, 2016

Casting Announcement!

I've been holding an open casting for "Hamilton" in my brain for the past hour.
I'll be seeing people for as long as it takes me to type this essay.
No roles are pre-cast.
(The above is a lie. I'm playing Thomas Jefferson.)
More on the production: taking place in RVA, in my apartment, on my couch, right this very minute. Extended run through whenever I don't feel like thinking about this anymore. All local hires. AEA and Non-Equity welcome. Joseph Papa will be handling publicity. And doing it and doing it and doing it well. Some roles may be split due to thrilling abundance of talented friends and my unwillingness to not have Katrinah play both Hercules Mulligan AND Angelica Schuyler.
..........
I'm going to have to have at least three casts.

Cast 1:
Alexander Hamilton: Scott Wichmann
Aaron Burr, Sir: Eva DeVirgilis
George Washington: Tom Width
Angelica Schuyler: Katrinah Carol Lewis
Eliza Hamilton: Georgia Rogers Farmer
And Peggy: Paul S. Major*
Mariah Carey: Ashlee Heyward
Lafayette: Bianca Bryan
Jefferson: ME
King George III: Matt Shofner
Laurens: Maggie Roop
Philip Hamilton: Paul Deiss
Hercules Mulligan: Maggie Bavolack
James Madison: Joe Pabst

*Steadfastly refuses to listen to "Hamilton." Too bad. Born for the role.

Cast 2:
Alexander Hamilton:
Aaron Burr, Sir: Matt Zimmerman*
George Washington: Tom Width
Angelica Schuyler: Jessi Johnson
Eliza Hamilton: Matt Curiano
And Peggy/Mariah Carey: Durron Marquis Tyre
Lafayette: Aza Raine
Jefferson: ME
King George III: James Stover
Laurens: Deejay Gray
Philip Hamilton: Evan Nasteff
Hercules Mulligan: Katrinah Carol Lewis
James Madison: Lucas Hall

*AEA, but beside the point- in this case asterisk indicates that I am having a really hard time deciding whether Zimmerman would be best utilized as Aaron Burr, Sir, or as Eliza Hamilton.
[The role of Alexander Hamilton in this cast remains up for grabs. I'm trying to think of someone who would play really really well opposite Matt Zimmerman in a period piece set so long ago.....]

Cast 3:
Alexander Hamilton: JB Steinberg
Aaron Burr, Sir: JS Fauquet
George Washington: Tom Width
Angelica Schuyler: The Debra Wagoner
Eliza Hamilton: Robyn O'Neill
And Peggy/Mariah Carey: Janine Serreseque*
Lafayette: David Janosik
Jefferson: ME***
King George III: Jason Marks
Laurens: Ali Thibodeau
Philip Hamilton: David Janeski**
Hercules Mulligan: Cathy Shaffner
James Madison: Eric Stallings

*Has had previous experience playing Peggy. In a crinoline. Named after fabric.
**Cast not just because having him in the same cast/hemisphere as Janosik never fails to provide lots of entertaining mispronunciations.
***Beginning to consider hiring an understudy. Am getting jealous of these people who got the part of Hercules Mulligan.

(There's more. Who was I kidding.)

Cast 4:
Alexander Hamilton: Billy-Christopher Maupin
Aaron Burr, Sir: Steve Perigard
George Washington: Tom Width*
Angelica Schuyler: Felicia Curry
Eliza Hamilton: Aly Wepplo
And Peggy: Robert Throckmorton
Mariah Carey: Norman Payne
Lafayette: Chase Kniffen**
Jefferson: Carolyn Meade
King George III: Richard Koch
Laurens: Ian Page
Philip Hamilton: Axle Burtness
Hercules Mulligan: Gloria***
James Madison: Addie Barnhart

*Yes. In all four casts.
**Swing. Chase and I have a long history of swinging into roles we're completely inappropriate for and having a dandy time. Most notably as an ancient Native American soothsayer and Pocahontas. I'll let you guess who was who.
***Not her real name. I think her real name is Catherine Carol Walker.

Casts 5-20 will have to wait- I have to trot downtown real quick to give some Gummi Bears to an old friend jailed in a basement.






No comments:

Post a Comment